SunflowerBarnwood

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Universal Food Chopper


The Universal Food Chopper

 The 'Journal of Domestic Appliances' declared in 1882, 'Year by year domestic inventions of every kind are increasing; and no matter whether we desire to clean knives, or make stockings, peel potatoes, black shoes, make butter, wash clothes, stitch dresses, shell peas, or even bake our bread, all we have to do now is turn a handle…'.

How times have changed.  Now all we have to do is "plug it in".  But what other appliance has stood the test of time like these grinders? U.S. made of cast iron and wood over 100 years ago and still in working order!  They don't make anything like this anymore.  When is the last time you bought a kitchen appliance expected to last for a century? 



The #00, #0 and #1 are most useful for making your own breading, grinding herbs and spices (even coffee!).   The #2 is the workhorse .  I use mine alot during canning season and it works perfectly for grinding vegetables into salsas, relishes , chutneys and more.  It is also powerful enough for grinding meats and nuts.


A fine/breadcrumber, medium and coarse blade were standard with each UFC; but a nutbutter attachment is occasionally seen and they work great!  The grandkids love making peanut butter and it is delicious. Just start with a can of salted peanuts (or other mixed nuts).  Add a tiny bit of honey or peanut oil to get it to the consistency you wish. 

A restaurant size UFC (#3) makes short work of meat for sausage .  I also use my #3 for grinding the Fels Naptha when I  make detergent.  (another story for another day)

Many of us inherited our Universal Food Chopper from our grandmother or our great aunt. Theywere an essential part of every Victorian era kitchen.   Then t
hey sat forgotten in a corner of the cabinet while we flirted with the modern day food processor; but its time to take that vintage gem out and dust it off!  The slower speed of the handcranked grinder is ideal for chopping vegetables without turning them into mush.   Its sturdy and simple parts are practically indestructible.  It's "green", consuming no energy but your own ... and we all know we can afford to burn a few calories now and then. And since they were so well made, they are still readily available and rarely cost more than $10-20.


note there are four essential parts which are quickly and easily taken apart to clean.  Always take it apart and rinse it immediately after use and set out to dry.



How to cleanThe original instructions that came with the UFC recommended running stale bread through the grinder to clean it; but you may wish to clean it a bit better.  If you take it apart and rinse the pieces right after use, it is quite easy to clean.  Do not put it back together until it is dry.

To restore an old UFC, treat it like a cast iron pan. After cleaning the parts and allowing them to dry, take a clean dishrag dipped in a bit of cooking oil and wipe all metal parts applying an extremely light coat of oil. It doesn’t take much. Then set in a warm place ( a sunny window or sunporch, an oven on a “keep warm” setting for an hour or so).

If you find one with a little bit of rust or corrosion it is not a big problem as long as the rust had not caused severe damage to metal parts . Wash and brush them for any loose bits of dirt or rust, then season and use. I store my collection of grinders in the Hoosier cabinet and yes, I use them all!






__._,_.___

.

15 comments:

  1. We just got a new food grinder and it is bliss. Our old one was loud and clunky and was struggling with spinach. This new one I wake up everyday to making a shake and am in heaven.
    Feruccio
    http://www.vogelsangusa.com/products/solids-handling/xripper/xrs-front-service/overview/?L=0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just acquired a Columbia #11 & a Universal #2 grinder. Do you have instruction manuals or parts diagrams for either? I'd love to have copies is you had them & the ability to scan/email. I've been google searching for hours & haven't found anything helpful. I was hoping one of mine could mill corn, rice or other grains as we have severe allergies to wheat & some additives in commercially prepared foods. Thanks in advance for any time or help you can give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just came across your note here Jeff - are you still looking for this info? I do have the original diagram/paperwork that came w/ the #2. It's not overly informative.

      Delete
    2. I just came into possession of my grandmothers no. 2 but I do not have the instructions. I'm not sure what the different plates are for, can you help?

      Delete
    3. I just came into possession of my grandmothers no. 2 but I do not have the instructions. I'm not sure what the different plates are for, can you help?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the pep talk on these old beauties. I restored one for my sister, she was going to gift it away, but after seeing how good it came up gave it to me. Your ideas on non-meat grinding sparked an interest and as we clove off grid this fine little machine could be a real boon. Brgds, Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought a universal #2 at a local flea market with a nut butter attachment, a bread crumber, a butter grinder and another attachment with no name, but its sharp and a larger distance between the cogs. I'm guessing this is the meat grinder.
    The reason for my purchase was to start making my own raw dog food. Since I moved out of the city, raw choices are unnecessarily expensive.
    Izzy had been fed raw since a pup. The reason for doing so was the allergies presented after being "fixed". I don't know if it was the drugs they gave her but she came out a pup that couldn't tolerate any wheat or starches.
    No matter...
    This sucker grinds through semi frozen frog legs and bones, fish, anything from a chicken including bones (but mind you the more bone or cartilage the more difficult the turning of the handle) to deer meat with bones (small). Not impossible , with proper strength this grinder is invincible it seems. Great purchase for me. Notable is to have your meat semi frozen. It works better in the grinder. As well, frozen veg requires a lot of energy.. cooked or thawed it's much easier work.
    I'm hooked. Bought a Weston #22 and can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found one of this vintage Universal Food Chopper at the thrift store. It has been sitting in my kitchen shelf unused for several years. Was going to donate it to Salvation Army. I decided to do some research on this and it seems it has some value in the kitchen. I don't know how to use it. Thanks for this info. about cleaning mine is in good shape with very little rust. I had no idea it was over 100 years old. I think I might keep it and try to use it. It might work well from what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you keep the back end by the handle from leaking. Just tried to bring cooked dried chilis and had a drippy mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you found a solution to the leaking problem? I just found this problem with my mothers #2 while grinding cranberries.

      Delete
  7. Need a wing nut for the handle of a universal #3 grinder. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suggest you consider the law of gravity, and mount the Universal tilting toward the rear, using a simple shim. I had the same problem. I have the model 00, the smallest grinder. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For many people this is the best solution here see how to do it. Meat grinders online

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Universal #1 food-meat chopper. Where can I find medium and fine cutters for this chopper?

    ReplyDelete